Our objective is aimed at supporting schools rugby in by organising a 15’s Rugby Tournament amongst the best rugby playing schools in Malaysia. This plan has been designed to ensure rugby increases its status and to continuously grow at the schools level. This is principally due to our observation that there isn’t any schools 15’s tournament that is being organised outside of the bi-annual MSSM tournament.
All rugby tournaments that are currently being organised is for the 7’s and 10’s variant of the game. Though laudable, this does not bode well for the development of rugby according to the 15’s format, which is the truest form of rugby.
The tournament begins with a group stage match, as 12 teams are divided into four groups of three. Teams will play each other in a single-legged tie, with the top team from each group securing an automatic spot and home ground advantage in the quarter finals. The other eight teams consist of second and third-placed teams from each group will play in the second round play-off. The knockout concept in the play-off round will continue until the champion is crowned.
Scheduling & Venue
The group stages will be held throughout the months of February and March the the respective teams home ground. This results in games being held in diverse venues including Kuala Lumpur, Ulu Yam, Kuala Kangsar, Ipoh, and Alor Setar. The play-off rounds will be held starting end of March, and will culminate in the final on 11 April 2020.
Participation is by invitation based on not just current performance of teams, but also includes rugby tradition and alumni support. Among the teams participating this year:
- Malay College Kuala Kangsar, Kuala Kangsar
- Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Ipoh
- Sekolah Dato’ Abdul Razak, Seremban
- Sekolah Sultan Alam Shah, Putrajaya
- Sekolah Menengah Sains Selangor, Kuala Lumpur
- Sekolah Menengah Sains Hulu Selangor, Ulu Yam
- Victoria Institution, Kuala Lumpur
- English College, Johor Bharu
- Sultan Abdul Hamid College, Alor Setar
- Royal Military College, Sg Besi
- Yayasan Saad College, Ayer Keroh
- Sekolah Menengah Sains Tuanku Jaafar, Kuala Pilah